Sunday, March 09, 2014

Back on Schedule

Back on Schedule

“That’s Not Her Style” or so says Billy Joel as this blog begins.

Googling

Once again I’ve run into problems with Google Drive. I currently have too many files backed up on Google. How many is too many? That is hard to say but I currently have around 150Gb. The problem is that when there is a problem, which is too often, re-synchronizing takes days. That’s not an exaggeration. It takes two to three days to get everything right.

And there is another problem. Define, right. With so much data and few checks how do I know what is lost and what is recovered? Of course, you could argue that with 150Gb of data who cares if a little something is lost?

So, what sort of problems was I having and why? The sort of problem is easy, while trying to organize some data Google encountered an error. Why? That is more difficult. Several visits to Google forums only confirm that, yes, there is a problem.

At the moment all my old blogs are lost. (Now they may exists on some USB drive someplace, not to mention that they do exists on (Google’s) blogger, so no need to shed crocodile tears.)

As for the alternatives; I haven’t seen anything that makes me think they would be any better. Except possibly for Dropbox, which is a bit more expensive.

The Beatles

Following Billy Joel is an extended press conference given by the Beatles in Australia – likely 1965. Interesting that so many press people could get so involved asking so many inane questions. It must have been a slow news day.

Back On Schedule

This is actually a big deal. When I re-started this blog the primary purpose was to exercise the writing muscles, which had atrophied while re-building after radiation. So, OK, great, I’m writing a blog. That’s 200 to 300 unfocused words per week, hopefully showing some signs of improvement. The Beatle press conference has ended and Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” has broken my train if thought – oh well.

My point, such as it was, it that I’ve created a schedule for myself. Writing time is 5:00AM to 7:00AM. That’s it! Except, of course, for other things at different times – like this. Of course, these hours require that other activities also happen within prescribed times. The advantage is that if I screw around on Facebook, or this blog, it’s OK, just as long as it does not happen between 5 and 7. Those hours are reserved for getting something done!

Damn, That’s Dreary

The song has changed. I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of letting iTunes create the playlist. The usually dependable Neil Young is singing “Such a Woman”. Whatever her gifts, they don’t seem to include the ability to keep someone awake.



No comments:

Popular Posts